"In Their Words" is a column where students across the Division of Social Sciences share what UC Santa Cruz means to them, advice for fellow students, and plans for the future.
Meet the 2016 award recipients!
- Megan “Blaine” Agustin is a recipient of the Fanny Carruther’s Award in Sociology.
- Alec Apodaca, a student in the division's anthropology department, is the 2016 recipient of the Keeley Coastal Scholars Award.
- Andres Arias is a recipient of the Fanny Carruther’s Award in Sociology.
- Ean L. Brown, a sociology and legal studies double major, received a Dean's Award for his research project, “32 Years After Orwellian “1984”: The Surveillance State and National Security.”
- Psychology student Beverly Iniguez Conrique received both the Deans' and Chancellor’s Undergraduate Award for her research "Social Dominance Orientation’s Effects on Attitudes Towards Crime, Prisoners, and Prison Reform.”
- Anthropology student Maribel Garcia is the 2016 recipient of the Jeremy Demian Marx for Cultural Anthropology award. The award was established in 1993 by Alan Marx, M.D., to honor the memory of his son, Jeremy Demian Marx and to provide funding for an outstanding undergraduate paper in cultural anthropology.
- Adriana Murguia Gonzalez, a student in the division's Environmental Studies department received a Dean's Award for her work on “Seed Saving Strategies in San Ramon, Nicaragua.”
- Psychology graduate student Sara Goodman is the 2016 recipient of the Frank X. Barron Creativity Award.
- Ksenya Kryliouk received the Sociology of Race, Class and Gender Senior Thesis Award.
- Raymond Leroy LeBeau is the 2016 recipient of the Walsh Family Scholarship.
- Jana Madison Machover is a recipient of the Fanny Carruther’s Award in Sociology.
- Mireya Mateo, a double major in the division's Latin American and Latino Studies and Anthropology departments received both a Dean's and Chancellor’s award for her research project titled “Untold Delivery Stories: Zapotec Women's Birthing Experiences in the Central Valley of Oaxaca.”
- Rachel Haderra Rosen is a recipient of the Fanny Carruther's Award in Sociology.
- Katie Sweeney is the 2016 recipient of the Gabriel Zimmerman Memorial Scholarship.
- Psychology graduate student Yu Zhang is the 2016 recipient of the Frank X. Barron Creativity Award.
- Politics major Nicholas Zinter received a Dean's Award for his project titled “The Naypyidaw Rationale: Cultures of Power and Constructions of Legitimacy in the Republic of Myanmar.”