Photos from the Division of Social Sciences
- “Politics of Change?! The Social Sciences Take on 2016” was the theme for this year’s "Research Frontiers Evening," an annual interdisciplinary event held by the Division of Social Sciences.
- More than 400 community members packed the Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History to hear preliminary findings from a housing study conducted by sociology professors Miriam Greenberg and Steve McKay.
- The Kenneth S. Norris Center for Natural History continues to support many of Professor's Norris' endeavors as well as take his vision for natural history education and research to a broader community and state-wide level.
- Undergraduate research, scholarship, and a commitment to social justice were celebrated on May 26 at the Division of Social Sciences annual student awards ceremony.
Claude Steele, a social psychologist and provost of UC Berkeley, spoke to the UCSC community about his research on the social impact of stereotype identities.
The Division of Social Sciences’ third annual Research Frontiers event took place on Thursday, Nov. 5 at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History.
The Anthropology department held its graduation ceremony and celebration on June 12th, 2015 at the campus Arboretum.
The Latin American and Latino Studies department honored its newest graduates. Congrats, Class of 2015!
- Anthropology179/History 158C: Slavery in the Atlantic World class ended the quarter with a poster session about how they used archaeological methods and historical research to understand specific sites associated with African Slavery in the New World.
- Clay and ceramic materials from around the world are classified and analyzed through the operations of the Ceramic Analysis Research Lab at UCSC.
- The Division of Social Sciences honored the 2014-2015 undergraduate division award winners on May 28 at an invitation-only lunch for students and their families, faculty mentors, as well as our Northern California Board of Councilors members.
- Photos from "Working for Dignity." Steve McKay, associate professor of sociology and director of the UC Santa Cruz Center for Labor Studies, unveiled a multimedia project he and his students created about low-wage workers in Santa Cruz County. Held at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History, the exhibit showcased photos, text, interviews, and videos.
- Alumni Weekend 2015: Economics Reception.
- See photos from the afternoon event >
- The UC Santa Cruz Social Sciences Division has named Stephen Bruce, a 1979 economics graduate of Cowell College, as winner of the Distinguished Social Sciences Alumni Award for 2014-15. View photos from the award ceremony >
- Graduate Research Symposium at McHenry Library on Friday, April 24. The symposium included graduate student presentations in a variety of formats, including posters, 10-minute talks, films, and other media. Discover more >
- View photos >
An inside look into how UCSC tackles issues from climate change to global inequality using spatial data. See all the photos >
As UC Santa Cruz celebrates its 50th anniversary, the campus is re-creating the 150-year-old historic Cowell Ranch Hay Barn near the campus entrance.
Barn on! >
- "No Prospect of an End: Living With an Ever Changing Climate" was organized by The Divisions of Physical & Biological Sciences and Social Sciences to explore how societies can plan for and reach a future where humans and the natural systems on which they depend can flourish, not just a century from now, but far into the future. Explore >
- View photos >
Photo highlights from Research Frontiers Day 2014, our annual showcase of collaborative research in the social sciences. Discover >Read our social media highlights and coverage in the Santa Cruz Sentinel.
- On October 16, 2014, the Division of Social Sciences gathered for the annual fall breakfast that recognized outstanding staff and faculty and kicked off another great year in social sciences. Fall forward >
- On October 9, 2014, sociology students, staff and faculty met and mingled over lunch. Department Chair Herman Gray delivered opening remarks. See more >
- Part 1 includes photos from the preparation of the annual farm to table culinary event, Farm to Fork, at UC Santa Cruz. Farm to Fork 2014 celebrated the sustainable agriculture programs at the Center for Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems (CASFS) and raised funds to support the apprentices who study, live, and work there. View >
- See more >
- Enjoy more Farm to Fork photos >
- View the experience >
- both internationally known sites for training and research in organic horticulture and agriculture. Discover more >